Here’s a way you can may your own Edible Hanging Basket for mom this Mother’s Day. An edible hanging basket is a great way to grow food and it looks pretty too!
Here’s what you need:
· hanging basket · potting soil
· plants or seeds · water
· organic granular fertilizer or composted manure
· Mix soil with fertilizer, compost or manure.
· Fill hanging basket with soil mixture leaving 1 inch at the top for watering purposes.
· Add plants or seeds and water.
What Plants Work Well:
· Lettuces · Arugula · Mesclun mixes · Tomato
· Strawberries (2 plants) · Pansy, Viola · Peas
Things to Consider:
• Less is More! Plants need space to grow properly. 1 or 2 lettuces with a pansy would work well. ( Pansy flowers are edible too)
• If using seeds, broadcast evenly over soil and cover. Keep moist during germination ( less seed will produce a healthier basket)
• Food likes sunshine. Hang in a sunny location.
·Containers usually need a liquid feed come mid-summer because the nutrients have been exhausted. Use fish fertilizer or compost tea once a week.
• Water regularly. In summer heat that means every day.
• When planting strawberries, purchase an ever-bearing variety for fruit all summer long
· Garden soil is often too heavy for containers that is why potting soil is used.
·Choose a Cherry-like tomato variety, like Tumbler.